The cart is empty
Servings: 6 Prep time: 30minutes
Coconut Oil Biscuits
This Coconut Oil Biscuits recipe uses coconut oil rather than butter or shortening for a healthier, lighter alternative to the southern-style CFYL Classic Biscuits. This is a great way to introduce coconut oil into your foods at home. The healthy fats in coconut oil, as well as the light, nutty flavor will make you crave these biscuits with every meal.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in coconut oil with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Stir in ¾ cup of buttermilk and mix just until a dough forms. Turn the dough onto a clean surface and form into a ball. Using a rolling pin, flatten the dough into a rectangle that is about a half inch thick.
4. Using a one-inch cookie cutter, cut the dough into biscuits.
5. Arrange the biscuits on the baking tray, making sure they are evenly spaced apart.
6. Brush the top of the biscuits with the remaining quarter cup of buttermilk.
7. Place in the oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until the tops are golden brown. Cool slightly before serving.
Ann’s Tips and Tricks
Substitute the buttermilk in this recipe for coconut milk for a dairy-free, vegan treat. Using coconut milk with coconut oil will give your biscuits a lighter flavor and consistency that you may find you prefer.