The cart is empty
Servings: Makes about 5 cups Prep time: 15minutes
Creamy Vegan Chocolate Frosting
This fabulously rich, dairy-free creamy vegan chocolate frosting tastes so very, very good, but despite it’s healthy ingredient profile, it is still a high-calorie indulgence, so treat it as something to splurge on rather than everyday food. Use it to frost cupcakes or a yummy cake like our Best Chocolate Cake. This topping is all about the chocolate, so for best results, I recommend buying high quality bittersweet cooking chocolate — Valrhona or Caillebault are excellent.
1. Put chocolate in a double boiler (see Ann’s Tip). Stir occasionally until the chocolate has melted.
2. Remove from heat and stir in the hot coffee and boiling water. Whisk until completely smooth. Add the coconut milk, and whisk until completely mixed.
3. In a food processor, combine the chocolate mixture with the tofu. Process until smooth, about 10-15 seconds.
4. Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until look and the texture resembles cream cheese, about 1½ hours. If the mixture becomes too stiff, let sit at room temperature.
5. With an electric mixer, whip the frosting on high speed until fluffy and mousse-like in texture, about 1-2 minutes.
6. Use to frost your cake.
Ann’s Tips and Tricks
Make your own double boiler with a sturdy saucepan and a metal bowl that fits nicely on top. Just add a little water to the bottom of the saucepan bring it to a simmer, and place the metal bowl over it. The water should not touch bowl.
Cooking chocolate doesn’t always come in chips. If you buy it in bloc form, break it into smallish pieces – a hammer makes the best job of this – and melt as in step 1. Make sure there are no solid lumps of chocolate left before moving to step 2.