The cart is empty
Servings: Makes 18 cupcakes or 1 double layer 8 inch cake Prep time: 30minutes
Gaye’s Carrot Cake
This recipe makes a fabulous moist dairy-free (unless you ice it) carrot cake or muffins. You can make these a day in advance and don’t worry if the cake or muffins come out slightly undercooked.
For the cake:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease or line 18 muffin tins, or 2 8-inch spring-form pans.
2. In a medium bowl sift together the whole wheat pastry flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy. Slowly add in the oil, beating continuously.
4. Gradually add in the flour mixture, just until absorbed. Then fold in the ground almonds, carrots, raisins and walnuts.
5. Pour into prepared muffin tins or spring-form pans. Bake in the center of the oven until a skewer comes out clean, about 15 to 20 minutes for muffins and 40 minutes for the cake.
For the icing:
1. Cream the butter and cream cheese together until light and fluffy.
2. Gradually sift the sugar, beating continuously to avoid lumps. Add the lemon zest and juice, to taste, and beat until smooth. If the icing seems a little too soft or thin to spread, chill before using to stiffen. Ice between the layers of the cake or on top of the cupcakes as desired.
For more carrot inspired recipes, check out our Carrot Recipes Slideshow.