The cart is empty
Servings: 12 Prep time: 15minutes
Gina DePalma’s Very Good For You Muffins
These muffins are a great breakfast or snack if you need a boost of energy. Each muffin is loaded with fiber and has around 185 calories plus 6 grams fat each.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners or spray them lightly with vegetable oil spray.
2. Combine whole wheat flour, oats, ground flax, coconut, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a mixing bowl.
3. Mash the peeled bananas in a medium bowl with a fork; add the applesauce, oil, egg, milk and maple syrup and mix well to break up the egg and thoroughly combine.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well with a fork– your batter will be stiff and lumpy. Mix in the blueberries.
5. Fill each muffin liner or tin section to the top, so that batter is slightly mounded.
6. Bake the muffins for 25 minutes; a cake tester inserted should come out clean.
For more oat based recipes check out our Oat Recipes Slideshow.
Ann’s Tips and Tricks
You can substitute raisins, dried or fresh chopped cranberries, or an equal amount of other chopped fresh fruit. I like to use the frozen wild blueberries from Trader Joe’s; it is always handy to have a bag of them in the freezer for impromptu smoothies or for healthy muffins and breads.