Ginger Coconut Soup
This soothing Asian-style soup is really fast to make. The vegetables we’ve chosen are really delicious together, but if you need to watch the amount of fiber you’re eating, or have to be wary about foods that can cause gas, it’s OK to ditch the broccoli and experiment with different combos, like, for example, potatoes, asparagus, mushrooms, and green beans. It’s all delicious.
Prep: 20 - 30 min
Main Ingredient: Coconut Milk
- 2 (14-ounce) cans of coconut milk
- 1¼ cup water
- 1 to 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 medium shallots, peeled and sliced lengthwise
- Salt, to taste
- ¾-pound small new potatoes, or ⅓ cup of long grain white rice
- 1 cup of 1-inch sliced pieces of asparagus
- 1 cup of broccoli florets
- Cilantro or Thai basil, for garnish
1. In a medium stockpot, bring the coconut milk, water, ginger, shallots, salt and potatoes or rice to a boil.
2. Reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender or the rice is cooked. Add in the vegetables, cook for 3 to 5 minutes sprinkle with chopped cilantro or Thai basil cook one minute more then serve.
For more coconut milk based recipes take a look at our Coconut Milk Recipes Slideshows.
For bland diet, put shallots in whole for flavor and remove before eating.
If you are calorie counting, use Lite coconut milk for a lower fat content.