The cart is empty
Servings: Makes 1 loaf Prep time: 30minutes
This makes a moist cornbread. If you don’t like spicy, leave out the jalapeño. For something a little different, use it to make cornbread stuffing during the Holidays.
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place rack in middle of the oven. With the butter, generously coat a 10×15-inch baking pan or 11-inch cast iron skillet.
2. Coarsely blend 2 cups of the corn kernels with 2 tablespoons of buttermilk. It should have the consistency of a chunky cream. Reserve the rest.
3. In a large bowl combine all the ingredients except the butter. Mix well.
4. Put the prepared baking pan in the oven for about 5 minutes or until the butter has melted. Remove from the oven and quickly pour in the batter.
5. Bake for 30 minutes or until the cornbread begins to pull away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the pan. Cut into squares and serve.
Ann’s Tips and Tricks
You can make substitute buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, or 1 teaspoon of cream of Tartar to 1 cup of regular milk.