The cart is empty
Pear and Ginger Upside Down Cake
- Preheat oven to 350oF.
- Place melted butter inside an 8-inch round mold, swirl it around to coat the sides of the mold and let butter settle in the bottom. Sprinkle the light brown sugar over the butter to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Peel and halve each pear lengthwise. With a paring knife or spoon remove the core. Cut each half in half to quarter the pear and arrange slices in an overlapping circle on top of butter and sugar.
- Combine all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, ground ginger, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Whisk eggs, oil, sugar, milk, orange zest and vanilla in another medium bowl. Add the flour mixture, stirring just until just combined; do not overmix.
- Carefully spread batter over pears, using a rubber spatula to create an even layer. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until top of the cake is golden brown and edges begin to pull away from sides of pan.
- Remove cake from the oven and let it cool for 2 minutes. Run a knife around edge of pan and put a plate on top of cake. Flip cake so plate is on bottom and remove baking pan to release cake. Serve warm or at room temperature.