The cart is empty
Servings: 4 Prep time: 30minutes
Burritos are usually stuffed with rice and beans, but this one is packed with protein-rich quinoa. Instead of making the quinoa for this Quinoa Burrito from scratch, this dish is also a great way to use up any quinoa leftovers you may have in the fridge, just turn on the oven and fast forward to step 3.
1. In a medium saucepan combine the quinoa, water, cilantro sprig and a generous pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the quinoa is tender.
2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
3. Meanwhile, in a skillet heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until they begin to turn translucent, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, cayenne pepper, butternut squash, and a sprinkling of salt. Cook stirring for 2-3 minutes, until the garlic and spices are fragrant.
4. Add the mushrooms and broth, and simmer until the squash is tender and all the liquid has evaporated.
5. Add the spinach and cook, stirring, until the spinach has wilted. Taste for seasoning.
6. Lay down the tortillas and divide the quinoa and squash evenly– about ¼ cup of quinoa, ⅓ cup of butternut squash mixture, and chopped avocado. Tuck the ends of the tortillas in and roll them up. Wrap in foil, then place on a baking sheet and bake until warmed through, about 10-15 minutes. Serve with a simple soup or salad.