Rhubarb Ginger Crumble
Rhubarb and ginger were made to go together. This delicious crumble pairs a sweet and crunchy topping with a tart rhubarb filling that's full of sweet candied ginger surprises. We tend to go easy on the sugar with our desserts, but since rhubarb is definitely a tart fruit, feel free to add a little more sweetness to it to suit your taste. And remember sweet treats are best eaten in moderation.
- 1 pound rhubarb, cleaned and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¼ cup maple syrup, or to taste
- ½ cup candied ginger, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a soufflé or shallow baking dish make the filling by tossing the rhubarb, maple syrup and candied ginger together.
3. To make the crumble, stir together the oats, flour, salt, almonds, and ground ginger in a medium bowl. Stir in maple syrup and oil or melted butter until the oats are completely coated.
4. Pile crumble on top of rhubarb and bake until golden and mixture is bubbling up on the sides, about 40-50 minutes.
Use oil instead of butter and you will have a terrific vegan version of this dish.
Eat all sweet, sugary treats in moderation. A little bit of sweetness can make you feel good, but don’t overdo it! High calorie desserts are best as a treat, never a habit.