Sautéed Kale with Sweet Potatoes
This is a colorful dish and a simple delicious way to eat kale. Dark green leafy vegetables are so good for us - so are the deep orange yams! These vegetables are both bursting with minerals and vitamins, including calcium and beta carotene, plus kale, like cabbage, helps to strengthen our immune systems The trick is not to over cook the greens when you steam them so that they keep their color and nutritional value when you sauté them in the olive oil. The hot pepper in the recipe is strictly optional if you don’t like your food spicy!
- 1 large sweet potato (about 12-ounces) boiled or baked until just done, then cooled
- 1 bunch of kale (curly, Lacinato, or Russian) washed in cold water
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1-2 cloves of garlic thinly sliced
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme, leaves stripped from the stem and chopped
- 1 small green jalapeño pepper cored, seeded and thinly sliced into strips (optional)
- 1-2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped cilantro (optional)
More Like This
1. Rub the skin off the sweet potato and cut into a 1” dice. Set aside
2. Strip the leaves of the kale from the hard stems, all the way up. Put them in a large saucepan with the water that clings to their leaves with 1 cup of cold water. Bring to a boil, add some sea salt and cover. Turn the heat down and cook until the leaves are wilted and just tender, about 5 minutes depending on their size and toughness.
3. Drain the greens and run cold water over them to stop them cooking. Squeeze all the excess water out of them, roll them into a ball and roughly slice them up. At this point, you can freeze them if you have too many to use in one sitting.
4. Heat the oil in a wide frying pan over medium-high heat. When it starts to ripple, add the garlic, thyme and jalapeño pepper if using. Cook stirring until the garlic starts to color. Don’t let it burn – it should get no darker than a pale golden brown. This will flavor the oil. Discard the garlic.
5. Add the diced sweet potato. Saute until it is heated through. Add the chopped kale. Mix and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the lime juice, sprinkle with chopped cilantro, cook for a minute more to blend the flavors. Serve immediately.