The cart is empty
Servings: 4 Prep time: 20minutes
Spaghetti with Zucchini & Basil
In the late summer and early fall, zucchinis come into their own at farmers’ markets, as do aromatic fresh herbs such as basil.
Here’s a quick, easy recipe based on the classic pomodoro basilico pasta. For this spaghetti with zucchini & basil recipe be sure to buy the small, firm zucchini for this delicious summer pasta dinner. If you don’t have any of CFYL’s Quick Tomato Sauce on hand, add 1 1/2 cups of halved cherry tomatoes with a sprinkle of salt in step 3, and cook the pasta only after they have softened and become saucy. Omit the cheese for a vegan dish.
1. Bring water for the pasta to a boil, then add salt. Once boiling again, add spagettini and cook for about 5 minutes or 1 minute less than given on package. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta cooking liquid and drain.
2. While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a wide sauté pan or wok. Add the sliced garlic and fry gently over medium-high heat until it starts to color. Add the zucchini and sauté until they start to soften and color.
3. Add the tomato sauce. If the pan looks a little dry, add water from the pasta pot to it, ¼ cup at a time.
4. Just before the pasta is done, add the grated cheese to the zucchini. Mix well and cook for a minute. Taste for salt.
5. Add the basil to the sauce, stir to mix, then add the pasta. Toss together and cook for 1 minute more, adding the reserved water if needed. It’s ready! Serve with extra cheese if desired.
Ann’s Tips and Tricks
Tear delicate basil leaves into pieces instead of chopping them to bring out the oils. If you are in chemo, add them in step 4.