The cart is empty
Servings: 4 Prep time: 15minutes
Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
Tortilla soup was something I’d never eaten before I came to live in the US, and it turned out to be a pretty major New World discovery for me when I did. This vegetarian tortilla soup is an all-veggie version of the classic that is simply delicious. It’s light and fresh tasting, yet totally satisfying to eat. You certainly won’t miss the meat.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Toss the tortillas with a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Spread in an even layer on a baking sheet and bake until crispy and well browned, about 15- 20 minutes.
3. In a heavy bottomed pot, heat the oil over medium-high and cook the onions until they turn translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 3 more minutes. Add the tomato paste, cumin, coriander, and cayenne pepper. Cook stirring for 1 minute. Add the canned tomatoes. Cook for 10 minutes or until they begin to turn an orangey color.
4. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 20 minutes. Add the black beans and continue to simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the baby spinach and avocado. Cook for 3 minutes or until the spinach has wilted.
5. Serve in bowls with the baked tortilla chips.
Ann’s Tips and Tricks
If you use store bought vegetable broth, always taste it before cooking with it to see what flavors it is adding and how much salt. Some seem to pack a lot of celery, others carrot – it’s hard to know without tasting them first. If you can, do a veggie broth taste testing to find your favorite one.
If you can’t find one you like, try making our Veggie Trimming Stock to bag and freeze.