This chicken chorizo soup is super easy and a great way to get a little spice in your life. Chicken chorizo sausage is just as satisfying as pork sausage and bursting with flavor. Think of this as gumbo with a little Spanish flare. The recipe calls for cooked rice, but if you want to use uncooked rice, simply cook the recipe for around 40 minutes or so in the final step so the rice cooks in the dish. Enjoy!
1. Place a large pot over medium heat and heat olive oil. Add the chicken sausage and cook until it becomes golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the celery, carrots, onion, and potato to the pot and sweat for another 5 minutes.
2. Add the chicken stock, bay leaf, and parsley sprig to the pot and bring to a simmer, seasoning with salt and pepper.
3. After about 15 minutes of cooking, add the rice to the soup. Cook the soup for another 10-20 minutes.
4. Remove the bay leaf and parsley sprig from the soup. Adjust seasonings and serve with a garnish of chopped parsley.
Xianfeng Luo, Drexel Food Lab
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 links chicken chorizo sausage, sliced
- 2 medium carrots sliced into ¼inch rounds
- 2 celery stalks sliced into ¼inch slices
- 1 medium onion ,chopped
- 1 medium potato ,diced
- 8 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig parsley
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley for garnish
- salt and pepper
Ann's Tips and Tricks
If you aren’t keen on sausage you can use smoked paprika to get the same great flavor. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon over the vegetables at the end on Step 1 stir to mix and cook for a minute, then go to Step 2.