This Chicken Feijoada is delicious! Feiojada or black bean and meat stew is traditionally made with pork and beef, and is a national dish in both Portugal and Brazil. It is made all over the world with slight variations, and at Cook for Your LIFE, for a healthier but equally stick-to-your-ribs meal, we make it with turkey bacon in place of the pork, and with chicken thighs and sausage instead of the beef. Kale adds fiber and nutrients and great texture to round out our version of this traditional dish. And like the original, it will satisfy and comfort you to perfection. Enjoy!
- In a medium pot, over medium heat, add bacon. Cook for about 10 minutes or until crisp. Transfer to plate and hold.
- In the same pot over medium heat add olive oil. Add chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Remove from pot and hold.
- Add chicken sausage to same pot over medium heat. Cook for about 5 minutes or until golden brown. Add onions and garlic. Saute for about 5 minutes or until translucent. Add curry powder and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken and bacon back to the pot. Add black beans and 6 cups water. Bring to a simmer.
- Add kale and wilt, about 10 minutes.
- Serve hot in a bowl or over cooked brown rice.
Christa Kwaw-Yankson, Drexel Food Lab
4 strips turkey bacon, sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ pound boneless chicken thighs, diced
½ pound spicy chicken sausage, diced
2 cups diced onions
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 (16 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
½ teaspoon curry powder
1 bunch kale, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
Ann's Tips and Tricks
If you don’t want to use any kind of bacon, to get the flavor you can add 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika to the pot in step 3 along with the curry powder.
You can use turkey sausage instead of chicken, and a mix of turkey and chicken meat