This Grilled Sweet Santa Margherita Pizza can be a wonderful addition to a backyard BBQ if you have non-meat eaters to feed. It’s super simple to make and delicious to eat, so get grilling!
1. Shape the dough into a 6”-8” round – don’t worry if it’s a little wonky looking. Set aside.
2. Light the grill to a high flame. When grill is very hot, lay the shaped crust onto the grill and cook for about 1 minute. Then flip and cook 2-3 minutes (this side will be the bottom of pizza). Remove from grill and set aside.
3. Next in a sauté pan, either on the grill or on a stove, heat oil over high heat until it ripples. Do not let it smoke. Sear the tomatoes until they blister and turn saucy looking. Add the minced garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring to be sure the garlic does not burn.
4. Spread the tomato mixture over the crust and sprinkle with pieces of mozzarella and torn basil. Place back on the grill over low heat and cook to melt the mozzarella and finish cooking the crust. Remove from grill, drizzle with the remaining teaspoon of olive oil. Slice and serve.
- 1 eight inch pizza crust or ½ recipe of our pizza dough (See Ann’s Tips)
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup fresh mozzarella
- 1 sprig basil, leaves stripped off and torn into small pieces
Ann's Tips and Tricks
If you don’t have the energy or confidence to make pizza dough, buy a pound of ready made from your local pizzeria or supermarket. If you have any Quick Tomato Sauce in the freezer, this would be a perfect place to use it.