This creamy basic vegan Béchamel is a tasty workhorse in the plant-based kitchen. Use it to whip up any number of dishes from lasagnas, to gratins, to veggie pot-pies, to mushroom bakes. Yum!
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. When butter is melted, using a wooden spoon, add in all the flour and stir until combined (see Ann’s Tips)
- Continue to cook the butter and flour mixture for about 2 minutes, or until it develops a slight nutty flavor
- While mixing with a whisk, begin to add the soy milk to the pan with the butter and flour mixture. Start with a slow pour and gradually speed up. Continue until all the milk is added
- Whisk the mixture every couple of minutes, making sure to get the bottom of the pan so the flour can’t burn. Be careful to never let the mixture boil
- After 8-10 minutes, the mixture will be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Add in the salt for seasoning and remove the mixture from the heat.
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 4 cups soy milk
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
Ann's Tips and Tricks
In step 1, before you add the flour, add a grate or two of freshly grated nutmeg to the melted butter and let it sizzle for 30 seconds. It will add a mellow flavor to your sauce.
If you don’t have a whisk, you can use a spoon to add in the milk . Stir vigorously and constantly to prevent lumps from forming.