Stuffing is one of my favorite Holiday treats. This delicious chicken sausage & chestnut stuffing is a fabulous update to the more traditional version made with the usual, much fattier, pork. The flavor is truly wonderful. The combo of spicy hot chicken sausage with the super-food kale makes for a healthier Holiday choice that’s guaranteed not to disappoint. Enjoy!
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large wide skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until golden and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon remove the sausage and put into a large bowl with the toasted bread cubes. Set aside.
3. In the same skillet melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat, scraping up any of the sausage remains. Add the onion, celery, sage, thyme, parsley and a generous pinch of salt. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the onion is translucent and just beginning to brown.
4. Add the chopped kale, and cook, stirring until well wilted, about 3 minutes. Pour this mixture into the bowl with the sausage and bread.
5. Stir in the chestnuts, taste for seasoning, then mix in the broth and whisked eggs until well combined.
6. Transfer the stuffing mixture to a baking dish, dot with the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes, then remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes, adding more broth or water if it looks too dry. Serve with our Basic Roast Turkey or Chicken.
Ann's Tips and Tricks
It’s preferable to buy fresh chicken sausage instead of pre-cooked or smoked.
If you can’t find hot Italian style chicken sausage, buy sweet – you can always add ½ teaspoon of red pepper flakes when you sauté the onions and celery. If your sausage does not have a removable casing, cut into a ½ -inch dice.
If making the stuffing ahead of time, make from step 2 to 5, then store in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, proceed with step 6 to finish.
Be the first to leave a review.