This summery Egg Salad with Basil & Capers makes a great lunch sandwich, or even a protein packed breakfast. Blanch the celery to be on the safe side. A word of warning: capers are very salty, even after rinsing, so make sure to taste your salad before adding any extra salt.
During chemo, when your immune system is down, it’s better to make your own egg salad as needed. It’s not something to risk buying at the deli counter.
- Halve, then chop the eggs and put them into a ceramic bowl. Mix in the celery and shallots.
- Roughly chop the capers and add to the egg mixture along with the mayonnaise. Mix well and taste for salt. Just before serving mix in the shredded basil.
- 3 Hard Boiled Eggs, chilled
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon capers, rinsed well
- 2 tablespoons pasteurized jarred mayonnaise
- Sea salt, to taste
- 5 to 6 basil leaves, washed and shredded