I never met a bread pudding I couldn’t love. This Breakfast Strata is a savory bread pudding that makes not only a wonderful weekend breakfast, but also a great snack or, when paired with a simple soup like our Provencal Tomato Soup, part of an easy nutritious lunch. Give it a try!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9x13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, add olive oil. Add turkey sausage to pan, and brown on all sides. Once cooked, remove from pan and allow to cool. Chop sausage into bite sized pieces.
- In same pan, add bell peppers and onion. Sauté for about 15 minutes, or until soft. Add spinach and cook for about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add chopped sausage to pan and cool.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk and cheese. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk egg mixture until combined. Add bread to egg mixture and allow bread to soak. Add cooled vegetables and stir to combine.
- Pour bread and vegetable mixture into casserole pan, making sure to flatten the top into an even layer.
- Place casserole in oven, and bake for about 45 minutes, until eggs are set and middle is firm.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces low sodium turkey sausage links
- 2 bell peppers, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 12-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 12 eggs
- 4 cups skim milk
- 2 cups low fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 loaf sliced whole wheat bread, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste