My friend Elaine sent me this simple Cheesy Cauliflower Mash recipe when we were researching easy recipes for young Moms with cancer. She has two small children and is very conscientious about what they eat. She found this to be the perfect kid-friendly delivery system for cauliflower, and after making it, I think it’s pretty good for grownups too. Eating this sure doesn’t feel like deprivation.
1. Set up a steamer in a pot with an inch of water. Place the cauliflower and garlic cloves in the steamer, cover and cook over medium heat until the cauliflower is very tender, about 15-20 minutes.
2. Remove the cauliflower and garlic. Add in the butter and mash until desired smoothness. Add a tablespoon of milk and the grated cheese. Taste for salt and pepper.
- ½ head of cauliflower, outer leaves trimmed
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Ann's Tips and Tricks
If low weight is your problem, you can bulk this up with some extra calories by mashing in some boiled Yukon gold potato with the cauliflower. Quarter 2 small or cut one medium potato into a large dice, and cook them while the cauliflower is steaming. If your mouth is sore, blend with a little butter to smooth it.