When the first of the new season’s sweet navel oranges start to arrive in early December, they are a great excuse to make this classic Sicilian salad. I find the combination of sweet slices of orange and aromatic fennel spiked with salty oil cured olives in this Arugula, Orange, Fennel and Olive Salad irresistible. We’ve added arugula to add in a peppery, green dimension and to bring the health benefits of the cabbage family to the table.
1. Using a sharp knife, cut the tops and bottoms off of the oranges. Stand upright and cut downward to remove the rind and pith in thick strips. Cut crosswise into ¼-inch slices. Then into quarters.
2. In a large salad bowl, whisk together the shallot, lemon juice, olive oil, and hot paprika, until well blended. Add the olives, fennel, and oranges. Cover and let sit in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
3. When ready to serve toss with arugula.
- 4 navel oranges
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon hot paprika
- ½ cup quartered oil-cured black olives
- ½ small fennel, thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 5 cups arugula, washed
Ann's Tips and Tricks
If you prefer this salad without leafy greens, just reduce the amount of dressing by roughly ⅓.