- 1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add butternut squash and cook until tender. Drain and set aside, reserving about one cup of cooking liquid.
- 2. In a small saucepan, bring vegetable stock to a boil.
- 3. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil. Add leeks and cook until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- 4. Add orzo, cook for 2 to 3 min or until lightly toasted. Add boiling stock and reduce to a simmer. Simmer uncovered until liquid is absorbed and orzo is tender, about 15 minutes.
- 5. Meanwhile, using back of a fork or a potato masher, mash the squash with a few tablespoons of cooking liquid. Season with salt and pepper.
- 6. Once orzo is cooked, add spinach, parmesan cheese and mashed butternut squash. Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper.
- 1 small (or ½ large) butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 leeks (whites only), thinly sliced
- 2 cups orzo
- 2 cups spinach, packed
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste