Did you know that parsnips are most closely related to carrots and parsley? Once you try this smooth and delicate soup you’ll see they taste like the perfect combination of the two. This Crispy leek & Parsnip soup is great for both winter and spring. Topped with fried leeks this soup could be straight out of a five-star restaurant.
1. In a large heavy-bottomed pot, heat one tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced parsnips and a pinch of salt. Sweat until they become slightly soft, about 5 minutes. Add the celery, white part of leeks and garlic to the pot, and continue sweating until all the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
2. Add the vegetable stock and water to the pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook 10 minutes.
3. Lower the soup to a simmer and add the can of white beans. Season with lemon juice, salt, and pepper and let soup simmer about 10 minutes.
4. Remove the soup from the heat. Working in batches if necessary, puree half of the soup in a blender. Pour the pureed soup back into the pot and allow to simmer for another 5 minutes.
5. Heat a sauté pan on medium high heat and add canola oil. Once the oil is hot, add the dark green leek slices. Fry the leeks until they are golden brown. Remove the leeks from the pan and drain on paper towels.
6. Serve with a lemon wedge and fried leeks if desired.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups diced parsnips
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup chopped leeks, green tops reserved
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 can white beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup canola oil
- Salt and pepper to taste