This Capellini in Broth with Ricotta is a delicious and extremely comforting soup from the talented Fabrizia Lanza. Her original recipe calls for ½ hen (about 1 pound) and ½ pound of veal muscle meat. If you can get them, use them!
1. Place the chicken, bouquet garni and onion in a pot and cover with water. Let simmer until flavor develops in the water, skim the fat off the top of the stock periodically while cooking. Cook for about 4-6 hours.
2. Take pot off the heat, skim the fat off the top once again, let cool. Strain out the bouquet garni and onion, and refrigerate.
3. Remove the stock from the refrigerator, skim the fat off the top, and bring to a boil on the stove. Add cappellini, and cook according to package instructions.
4. Serve pasta in broth with a spoonful of fresh ricotta and grate Parmigiano.
- 2 pounds chicken breasts (See Ann’s Tips)
- 1 bouquet garni, or bundle of flavoring
- 1 medium onion, chopped into large chunks
- 1 pound cappellini (Angel Hair) pasta
- 1 cup Fresh ricotta
- Parmigiano to taste
Ann's Tips and Tricks
Bouquet garni, generally includes sage, parsley, carrot, and celery that is tied in a bundle with butcher’s twine. You may use any type of herbs or vegetables that you want for different flavors.
You can also use skinless thighs and drumsticks if you prefer.