An Italian friend of mine once asked me for an easy way to make a good lentil soup, I gave him this recipe. Frankly, this is a perfect soup to make if treatment has left you tired. It requires little or no effort, and has very few ingredients. Because there are so few ingredients, make sure you use the right lentils and a good quality olive oil. Don’t be scared about the amount of garlic, it will make the broth utterly delicious.
1. In a heavy-bottomed pan, cover the lentils with the cold water. Bring to a boil.
2. Add garlic and olive oil. Lightly simmer with a lid partially covering the pot, for 45 minutes.
3. Season with salt. Continue to simmer for 1 hour, or until the lentils are very tender. Puree. Heat through and serve with Croutons and a drizzle of olive oil.
- 1¼ cups French lentils, picked over and washed
- 2 quarts cold water
- 1 head of garlic, cloves separated, crushed and peeled
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- 2 cups Croutons (optional)
Ann's Tips and Tricks
If you are tired or short on time, you can use the peeled garlic that can be bought in jars to make this soup. You will need a dozen cloves. Instead of using them straight from the jar, I’d lightly smash them with the flat of a knife, then leave them for about 10 minutes before using to activate their enzymes.