This sumptuous vegetarian dish brings together the world of comfort food and healthy eating. Our Mushroom Quinoa Bake layers protein packed quinoa together with a dreamy, creamy, veggie packed mushroom sauce topped with the crunch of breadcrumbs. Honestly when it’s cold outside or when you’re feeling tired, whether from cancer treatment or just life in general, this nourishing, crowd pleasing, homey dish does the trick.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9×13-inch casserole pan with cooking spray.
2. In a large sauté pan over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add onions, carrots, and sweet potatoes and cook for about 15 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Add mushrooms to pan and cook for about 10 minutes, adding a few tablespoons of water if pan looks dry.
4. In small bowl, add cornstarch and ¼ cup water, stir to combine. Add milk and cornstarch slurry. Bring to a simmer and stir to combine. Add spinach and peas to pan and heat through.
5. Pour half of vegetable sauce mixture into casserole pan. Add quinoa and spread into an even layer. Top with remaining sauce and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
6. Place casserole in oven and bake for about 20 minutes, or until breadcrumbs are golden brown and filling is bubbling.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 carrots, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 small sweet potato, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 portabella mushroom caps, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups skim milk
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 6-ounce package frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- ½ cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper to taste