At this time of year, snap peas have come into their own at the greenmarket, as have aromatic fresh herbs such as parsley, summer savory, tarragon, mint, and basil. Cherry tomatoes add color and zip to this Snap Pea Spaghetti with Summer Herbs recipe, while the chopped herbs let you know that summer has really arrived. I prefer the taste and texture of the thinner whole wheat pastas like spaghetti or spaghettini.
- Put the water on to boil for the pasta.
- When the pasta water is nearly boiling, heat the olive oil in a wide sauté pan or wok over a medium-high heat. Add the chopped garlic and fry gently until it starts to color. Add the tomatoes and sauté until they start to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add the snap peas to the wok and stir-fry them until they are just cooked. If the pan looks a little dry, add water from the pasta pot ¼ cup at a time. Just before the pasta is done, add the herbs and the grated cheese to the wok. Mix well and cook for a minute. Check for salt.
- As soon as the water is boiling, salt it, and then add the pasta. Cook the pasta for 1 less minute than the cooking time specified on the packet. Drain the pasta, reserving a half cup of the cooking water.
- Add the pasta to the vegetables in the wok. Toss well to blend and cook one minute more, adding a little of the reserved water if it looks dry. It’s ready! Serve immediately with extra cheese if desired.
Ann’s Tips and Tricks
For maximum flavor, tear delicate basil leaves into pieces instead of chopping them.
Be the first to leave a review.