The cart is empty
Servings: 4 Prep time: 25minutes Total time: 60minutes
Tangy Sweet Potato and Cannellini Bean Soup
This protein packed, tangy sweet potato and cannellini bean soup is a real winter warmer and the perfect energy boost on a chilly day. The irresistible taste of sweet potato laced with a sour kick of lime and hot sauce has made it one of my new favorites. It’s also very undemanding to make and freezes well, perfect for those with fatigue from treatment. Although I love cannellini beans, you can use just any canned white bean for this soup, and, once all the prep work is done the actual cooking process almost takes care of itself. Enjoy!
1. In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add sweet potatoes and onion to the pot. Cook until onion becomes translucent, about 10 minutes.
2. Add garlic, chili powder and cumin to the pot. Season with salt and stir to coat the spices.
3. Add the water and diced tomatoes to the pot and bring to a simmer. Cook the soup for about 20 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
4. Add the cannellini beans, lime juice, and hot sauce, if using. Season with salt and cook for about 10 minutes, or until the beans are warmed through.
5. Portion the soup into bowls and garnish with cilantro and a tablespoon of Greek Yogurt.
Alex Schmaus, Drexel Food Lab