This wax bean salad is a great way to showcase the season’s best veggies. Their colors make the salad look bright and delicious. It’s important to steam the vegetables separately as they all cook at different speeds.
1. Sprinkle the beans and carrots with a little sea salt and steam in separate batches until each are just ‘al dente’, about 3 minutes each. Run cold water over them to stop them cooking. Dry and set aside.
2. In a bowl, make the dressing by whisking the mustard, lemon juice, salt, and sugar. Gradually beat in the oil. Taste for seasoning. Add water if needed. Stir the basil leaves into the dressing.
3. Toss the beans with the dressing.
4. In a large salad bowl, lay the shredded lettuce, and pile the dressed beans in the middle. When you are ready to serve, toss the whole salad together.
- ¾ pound French green beans, topped and tailed
- ¾ pound yellow wax beans, topped and tailed
- ½ pound new carrots scrubbed and cut into julienne strips about the same size as the beans
- 1 large red pepper de-seeded and cut into thin julienne strips
- ¼ cup toasted sunflower seeds
- 1 large head of Boston lettuce, washed, dried, and cut into a coarse chiffonade
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon water (optional)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups basil leaves washed, dried and shredded into a chiffonade