Chocolate Almond Loaf
This easy cake is delicious as a simple dessert with raspberries, or as a sweet treat with a cup of good coffee. The trick with this simple cake is to use only good quality unsweetened cocoa powder, not sweetened drinking chocolate, and to make sure the butter is soft before you make the cake. It couldn't be easier to make!
Meal: Dessert, Healthy Holidays
Serves: Makes 1 9-inch Loaf
Prep: 30 min
Main Ingredient: Chocolate
- ½ cup almond flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour or unbleached all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened Dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1¼ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- ¾ cup organic brown sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted sweet butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Grated zest of 1 orange (optional)
- 2 tablespoons milk
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan with butter or line with parchment paper.
2. Sift the flour, almond flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt together into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar.
3. Make a well in the dry ingredients. Beat in the butter, eggs, and orange zest with a hand mixer until well blended into a batter. If the batter seems a little stiff add milk, one tablespoon at a time until the batter has reached dropping consistency. Pile the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
4. Bake for around 40 to 45 minutes or until the cake is well risen and golden, and a toothpick comes out clean. Let the cake sit for a moment in the tin, then turn it out to cool on a wire rack. Serve as desired.
View our Chocolate Recipes Slideshow for more delicious chcocolate recipe ideas.
I like to use Droste Dutch Processed Cocoa powder for baking, and to make delicious Hot Chocolate.
Eat all sweet, sugary treats in moderation. A little bit of sweetness can make you feel good, but don’t overdo it! High calorie desserts are best as an occasional treat, never a habit.