I love this classic all American dessert. This version of strawberry shortcake is a favorite at our classes. We use Whole Wheat Biscuits , a lot less sugar, and instead of whipped cream we top it with Greek yogurt. It’s definitely delicious despite its healthy attitude.
If you are going through chemo, you can still eat this. Make it with our Strawberry Compote instead of using raw fruit.
- Prepare the biscuits as outlined here.
- In a small bowl, toss the strawberries with the brown sugar and lemon zest, if using. Let sit for at least 20 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, beat the yogurt with vanilla and agave. Taste to check the sweetness.
- Cut the biscuits in half across, and fill with the vanilla yogurt and strawberries. Serve immediately.
For the biscuits
- 1 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup low-fat milk
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour (see Ann’s Tip)
- ½ cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
For the Strawberries