This wonderful winter Cranberry & Dried Fruit Compote combines tart, fresh cranberries with sweet dried fruits, figs, prunes, cherries, and a hint of lemon.
1. In a medium saucepan, bring the cranberries, prunes, cherries, figs, lemon zest, sugar, and water to a boil. Reduce heat and cook over medium-high heat until the cranberries burst and the water has evaporated, about 5-7 minutes. Scoop into a bowl and serve warm or cool in the refrigerator until ready to eat. Can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- 1 (12 ounce) bag fresh or frozen cranberries
- ⅓ cup pitted prunes, chopped
- ⅓ cup dried cherries
- ⅓ cup dried black mission figs, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons organic cane sugar (Florida Crystals) or to taste
- 1¼ cups water
Ann's Tips and Tricks
Dried fruits are high in sugar and calories, a quarter cup dry weight is a portion. Go easy when snacking on them.