Ah, baked sweet potatoes! I ate my first one years ago in Brixton, a West Indian area of London and it was love at first bite. It tasted so exotic. Fast forward to when I was in treatment, and didn’t have the energy to do any real cooking. Popping a scrubbed sweet potato into the oven was the perfect solution; simple, delicious, and nutritious. Sweet potatoes are rich vitamins A, C, B6, Thiamin, Niacin and Riboflavin, not to mention necessary minerals like potassium and manganese. They even have some iron and calcium, all this before adding on any toppings. Not bad for such an easy treat.
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. Prick the sweet potatoes all over with a fork. Place on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes or until very tender. The baking time will depend greatly on the size of your potatoes.
3. Split open the potato lengthwise with a pairing knife and pinch the ends to open. Fill with recommended fillings:
- Olive oil, salt and pepper
- Honey Butter
- Zuni Sage Pesto
- Sliced scallions and a dollop of Greek yogurt
- Black Bean Chili
- Turkey Chili
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed and rinsed
Ann's Tips and Tricks
There are several types of sweet potatoes and yams, from the deep red garnet and ruby varieties, to the golden yellow so called ‘white’ sweet potatoes that are often used in pies. All are delicious, all are good for you, and all are perfect for this recipe.