This Pears with Cheese & Honey recipe is as delicious a combo as it is unexpected. My friend John used fresh Tuscan pecorino cheese – I have found it in NYC the brand is called ‘Brinato.’ You can also use any soft cheese like a mild goat cheese or a ricotta; it’s delicious no matter what.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel the pears and cut them in half. Trim off the stalk and flower ends then scoop out the seeds in the center with a teaspoon.
- Arrange the pears cut side up in a baking dish and drizzle ½ the honey over them. Lay the cheese over the pears and drizzle the remaining honey over the whole dish. If using ricotta, spoon it in to fill the cavity left by the seeds.
- Bake for 25 -30 minutes until the pears are soft, and the cheese has browned and melted over and into them. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- 6 ripe Bosc pears
- 12 thin slices of young Pecorino cheese or some fresh ricotta cheese
- 2 to 4 tablespoons clear Acacia or orange blossom honey, to taste
Ann's Tips and Tricks
If you have to use pears that are hard and unripe, they will need to cook about 15 minutes longer. I usually put less than ripe pears in a pan with about 1/2″ of hot water in the bottom and bake them for 15-20 minutes before adding the cheese and honey and carrying on as per recipe.
This dish is great made with low fat cream cheese too.
Eat all sweet, sugary treats in moderation. A little bit of what you fancy does you good, but don’t overdo it!