This cream of broccoli-inspired dish has the added boost of protein and nuttiness from almonds. Since broccoli cooks fast, it’s a soup that can be on the table in 30 minutes. This Broccoli & Almond Soup is homey, nourishing, and bound to make you feel comforted.
- Toast the almonds in a skillet until they make popping noises or their skin has darkened and fragrant. Remove from heat immediately and pour into a bowl. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks, potatoes and thyme. Cook until the leeks have softened. Add garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add stock or water and bring to a boil. Turn the heat back down to medium. Simmer until the potatoes are tender. Remove 1 cup of stock and puree with almonds. Set aside.
- Add broccoli and salt and cook for 3 minutes or until the broccoli is bright green. In batches in a blender, or with a hand blender, puree the soup. Return to the saucepan, and stir in the almond puree, Parmesan, and black pepper. Heat through.
- Serve with fresh thyme, black pepper, and some Parmesan cheese.
- ½ cup whole blanched almonds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ of a medium leek, white and green parts only, halved lengthwise and sliced
- ½ pound Yukon Gold potato (about 2 medium), peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups stock or water
- 4 loose cups broccoli florets (about ½ a medium head), stems included – peeled and cubed
- Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan, plus more garnish