Fennel is wonderfully calming to the stomach. Cooked this way with rice into a thick simple porridge, as in this Fennel & Rice Porridge recipe, its anise flavor becomes sweet and delicious. Eggs add easy whole nutrition, while peas give this simple meal their gorgeous color and some extra protein.
1. In a large pot, combine rice, chicken stock, water, and fennel. Place the pot on the stove, set to medium heat.
2. Bring the rice to a simmer and cover. Cook stirring occasionally for about 45 minutes or until the rice has absorbed most of the liquid and looks soupy. Stir in the peas, cook the porridge for a minute to thaw them. Remove from the heat and check for salt.
3. Serve garnished with wedges of egg, and a sprinkle of fennel fronds.
Ally Zeitz, Drexel Food Lab
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 6 cups water
- 1 medium fennel bulb (about 2 cups) chopped
- 2 cups frozen peas.
- 4 eggs, hard boiled, peeled and quartered
- ¼ cup fennel fronds, chopped (optional)
Ann's Tips and Tricks
Never thaw frozen fruits and vegetables before cooking. Their flash frozen nutrients stay intact when cooked right from the freezer. They lose strength as they thaw.
For extra calories, stir in a teaspoon of sweet butter.