Sometimes you just need a biscuit, and this simple recipe works every time. The perfect moist and flaky biscuit that will suit all your classic biscuit needs.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl to blend.
3. Break up the pieces of chilled butter with your fingertips into dry ingredients until mixture resembles coarse meal, you can also use a pastry cutter.
4. Add buttermilk and stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture is evenly moist and begins to form a ball of dough. Add 1 tablespoon of buttermilk if too dry.
5. Turn the dough out onto a clean work surface. Roll about one inch thick. Cut with an overturned glass or biscuit cutter.
6.Bake about twenty minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
Ally Zeitz, Drexel Food Lab
Ann’s Tips and Tricks
One cup of cheddar cheese can be mixed into the dry ingredients to make cheese biscuits.
If you don’t have buttermilk on hand you can easily make it from fresh milk. For 1 cup, take 1 cup of regular milk and stir in either 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or 1 3/4 teaspoons of cream of tartar. Let it sit for 10 minutes to curdle before using.
Be the first to leave a review.