This Cucumber, Yogurt & Wheat Berry Soup turned me from a chilled soup skeptic into a fan. I find it’s light, creamy texture combined with chewy wheat berries irresistible. And that little bite of lemon and mint? Delicious.
1. Boil the wheat berries until tender and chewy, about 30 minutes if presoaked, or 50 minutes if not. Drain and set aside to cool.
2. Put the chopped cucumber into a strainer and sprinkle with salt. Let sit for 20 minutes to drain excess water.
3. Drop the spinach into a pot of boiling water, cook for 1 minute until bright green and wilted. Run under cold water and squeeze out excess water. Chop and set aside.
4. Chop the garlic with a generous pinch of salt, until it becomes a paste. Add the toasted cumin seeds and continue to chop. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the yogurt and 1 cup of water, until smooth. Stir in the wheat berries, cucumber, lemon juice, and mint.
5. Let chill for at least 2 hours and stir in the spinach right before eating.
Be the first to leave a review.