Lasagna is one of my all time favorite pasta dishes. In this Eggplant Lasagna, eggplant replaces the pasta sheets creating a cheesy tomatoey delight that is low-carb and so delicious that you will never miss the pasta. Give it a try!
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Place the eggplant slices on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake in oven for 20 minutes, until tender. Make the tomato sauce as outlined here.
3. Layer enough of the cooked eggplant to cover the bottom of a 9 x 9 x 2 pan. Cover eggplant with a layer of tomato sauce and then cheese. Add another layer of eggplant and follow with the tomato sauce and cheese. Repeat these steps until you have desired amount of layers. Make sure cheese is the final layer on top.
4. Once pan is filled, bake in oven at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until cheese is a golden brown.
- 1 large eggplant cut into ¼” thick slices
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Quick Tomato Sauce
Ann's Tips and Tricks
For a richer dish, lightly brush the eggplant slices with oil before baking them.
If you are on a low fiber diet, pass the Quick Tomato Sauce through a sieve to remove the seeds and any skin.