These Healthy Turkey Burgers are quick to cook and make a great, heart-healthy way to get a burger fix. Apple replaces egg as a binder and smoked paprika adds smokey, meaty richness. Be sure to cook your burgers through, especially if you are on chemo.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and shape into four patties.
- Heat a large skillet on medium and coat with cooking spray.
- Add the turkey patties and cook for 10 minutes, flipping halfway, until browned on both sides and no longer pink in the center. Serve on a bun with lettuce, tomato, and onions (see Ann''s Tips). We love Rudi''s Organic Bakery 100% Whole Wheat Bun.
- 8 ounces ground turkey breast
- ½ cup grated Gala or Braeburn apple
- 2 tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon crumbled dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground fennel seed
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Ann's Tips and Tricks
If you are going through chemo and want to have some greens with your burger, instead of lettuce and tomatoes, garnish it with a some wilted spinach, and perhaps a slice or two of roasted red peppers.
For even more flavor, use 4oz ground breast meat, and 4 oz ground dark meat turkey