Harissa is a Moroccan chili paste. It adds really amazing flavor to chicken without making it too spicy. Try it for yourself with thing Moroccan-Style Baked Chicken recipe.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the chicken into 8 pieces with chicken scissors.
- In a small bowl mix the harissa paste with the cumin. Rub it all over the chicken pieces. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the thick fennel stalks on a greased roasting pan and lay the chicken pieces on top, skin side up. Cover the chicken with the feathery fennel branches and whole garlic cloves. Drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the juices run clear. Check for doneness after 15 minutes. When done, let the chicken rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Try with Basic Couscous.
- 1 (3 ½ pound) chicken, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Harissa
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch of fennel tops
- 6 cloves of garlic
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling