Peanut butter and bananas are a classic combination. This Peanut Butter Banana Oat Shake is a perfect quick and nutritious breakfast, or even as a snack if you need extra calories.
1. In the microwave safe bowl combine the oatmeal and water. Microwave for 1 minute on high, or cook the oats in a small saucepan until the water has been absorbed. Set aside and let cool.
2. In a blender combine the oatmeal, milk, banana, peanut butter, honey, nutmeg and ice cubes, if using. Blend until smooth. Best if served right away.
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup milk ( see Ann’s Tips)
- 1 large ripe banana, peeled and cut into thirds
- 1 to 2 tablespoons unsweetened and unsalted peanut butter, or almond butter
- 2 teaspoons honey, or to taste
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 ice cubes (optional)
Ann's Tips and Tricks
If you’re starting your day with this drink, save time by soaking the oatmeal in water overnight in the fridge.
Use a frozen banana for a creamier and cooler drink. To freeze bananas, just peel and wrap them in plastic and freeze until you are ready to use them.
For a dairy free drink, blend with soy or almond milk.