I love quesadillas! To my mind they are the perfect lunch, similar to a grilled sandwich, but somehow much, much better. Not only are the quick to make, they are also a fabulous way to repurpose leftovers, as here. All you need is some cheese to bring the ingredients together. Spoon a little of our chipotle yogurt sauce over it, and you have a winner. Why not try out this turkey, pumpkin, & kale Quesadilla.
1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook for 3 minutes, then add in the butternut squash. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until the butternut squash is browned and tender. Add the chopped kale and cook just until wilted, about 3 minutes. Tip onto a plate and set aside.
2. Wipe the skillet clean with a paper towel, then heat ½ teaspoon of oil and place 1 tortilla in the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle with half of the grated cheese, then half the squash and kale mixture, and half of the turkey. Top with a tortilla and cook for 3 minutes on each side. Repeat with the remaining 2 tortillas.
3. Cut each quesadilla into 6 pieces and serve with Chipotle Yogurt Sauce.
- 1 tablespoon grape seed or canola oil
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- ¾ cup diced butternut squash, ¼-inch pieces
- 6 kale leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon grape seed or canola oil, divided
- 4 (6-inch) whole wheat tortillas* (for gluten free, see Ann’s Tips)
- 1 cup grated sharp Cheddar, divided
- ½ cup shredded or cubed leftover turkey or chicken
- ½ cup Chipotle Yogurt Sauce
Ann's Tips and Tricks
For a gluten free snack, use Rudi’s gluten free tortillas instead of whole wheat – they’re great!
You can cook the veg filling ahead of time and add it to the quesadilla when you are ready. It will heat through nicely if it is at room temperature and not straight out of the fridge. If you are in chemo, you may want to quickly heat through the meat with the veggies before adding it to the quesadilla.
Leftover veggies are great in quesadillas too.