This is easy and quite delicious. This Pot Roasted Lemon Chicken & Potatoes dish is good accompanied by simple dark greens like Steamed Swiss Chard or Sauteed Collard Greens, or it could be followed by a simple salad of arugula.
1. Pull off any fat on the inside of the body cavity or near the opening of the chicken. Stuff the cavity with the lemon rind, and 1 smashed garlic clove. Tie the chicken legs together with kitchen twine, then rub the chicken with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper.
2. Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a large Dutch oven or a heavy pot with a tight fitting lid over medium-high heat. Add the cumin and fry for a few seconds, until the seeds begin to darken and you can smell their aroma. Add the chicken and lightly brown the chicken, turning, to allow browning all over.
3. Once the chicken is browned, add the garlic and potatoes, turning them in the oil. Turn the heat up to high and add the lemon juice. Cover the pot, and turn the heat down to low. Cook the chicken slowly for about 1 hour, basting the chicken occasionally, and turning the potatoes.
4. The chicken is cooked once the juices run clear when you pierce the thigh. Turn the heat off, keep covered and let rest for 10-15 minutes. Transfer the chicken and potatoes to a serving dish. Cover with foil to keep warm.
5. Spoon off any excess fat from the pan and bring pan juices to a gentle boil. Add a little more lemon juice or water to help deglaze the pan. Once the liquid has reduced slightly, taste for seasoning and serve with the chicken and potatoes.
Ann's Tips and Tricks
If you like garlic, add more unpeeled cloves to the pot. If you like onions, after you’ve browned the chicken (step 2), remove the chicken and slowly brown some onions in the pan. When they are light gold in color, add the chicken and potatoes back to the pot and proceed from step 3.
Be the first to leave a review.