This Roasted Carrot Salad takes roasted carrots to the next level. It’s truly delicious with earthy roasted carrots, crunchy hazelnuts, and sweet golden raisins, plus a bunch of herbs to boot. It doesn’t get much better than this salad.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, toss together carrots, onions, thyme and ¼ cup olive oil. Spread on a baking sheet. Place in oven and roast until carrots are nearly soft, about 20 minutes. Remove the carrots from the oven and sprinkle hazelnuts on top. Return to oven and continue cooking until nuts are toasted and aromatic, about 5 to 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, place the golden raisins in a small sauce pot. Cover with water and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes until the raisins are plump. Drain the water.
4. In a large bowl, add the cooked carrots, hazelnuts, raisins and arugula. (see Ann’s tips)
5. In a small bowl, whisk together remaining ¼ cup olive oil, red wine vinegar and honey. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Add the dressing to the carrot mixture and toss together. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 2 large carrots, sliced ¼ inch thick at a 45 degree angle, about 2 cups
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- ½ cup olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup hazelnuts, chopped
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- 1 cup arugula
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
Ann's Tips and Tricks
If you’re on the neutropenic diet, leave out the fresh arugula and instead, quickly sautee spinach beforehand to add to the salad.