The wonderful thing about salmon quiche, is that it can be either a meal or a snack. With the boost of protein from the salmon, surprisingly simple to prepare, this quiche is a quick, flavorful, and healthy option waiting to be tested!
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. On a clean and floured surface, roll out the pie dough to a ¼ inch thick (if not
using a prepared crust) and fit into a pie tin, cutting off the extra dough. Poke a
few holes in the crust with a fork. Bake crust in the preheated oven for 5 minutes.
Once par-baked, remove it from the oven and let cool slightly. Turn the oven
down to 350 degrees.
3. Drain salmon liquid into a cup and reserve. Put salmon in a bowl and remove
large bones and skin; flake salmon.
4. Spread salmon evenly in the baked pie crust; sprinkle with lemon juice.
5. Cook onion in the butter until translucent; transfer to the pie crust and sprinkle
6. Mix 3 tablespoons of the salmon liquid with eggs, milk and cheese. Stir in the chives. Season with salt and pepper; pour over salmon and onion. Sprinkle with some extra gruyere.
7. Bake quiche for 45 to 50 minutes, or until firm.
Julianne Scott, Drexel Food Lab