Brussels sprouts are a favorite veggie of mine. Sadly, so many people dislike them that I often feel out on a limb when I sing their praises. These tasty little cabbages deserve a better rep, and better cooking too. This easy Brussels Sprouts with Shallots recipe treats them just right.
1. In a medium saucepan, bring some salted water to a boil. Add the sprouts, and boil for 3 minutes. Reserve a cup of cooking water, then drain and run the sprouts under cold water. Cut into quarters through the root end.
2. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sprouts and cook, stirring occasionally until they begin to turn a light golden brown. About 10 minutes.
3. Move the sprouts to the outer edges of the pan, and add the shallot to the center of pan, along with 1 tablespoon of reserved cooking water. Cook until caramelized, then stir with the sprouts. Continue cooking until the sprouts are browned, about another 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, outer leaves discarded, stems trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- 1 large shallot, halved through the root and thinly sliced