Garlic is an iconic, healthful essential in the Mediterranean diet, and sopa de ajo, or Spanish Garlic Soup, is pungent, warming, and simple. If you happened to have had a Spanish grandmother, this is what she would serve you when you are sick.
- In a medium-sized pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the cubed bread and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often, until the bread is lightly browned. Add the garlic, pimentón, and a pinch of salt. Stir well, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Pour in the stock, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes, or longer for a sweeter less pungent garlic flavor.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve topped with a freshly poached egg.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ pound any stale bread, crusts removed, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon hot pimentón (Spanish smoked paprika)
- Salt, to taste
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 recipe Poached Eggs
Ann's Tips and Tricks
If you are going through chemo, be sure to poach the egg long enough for the yolk to set. It will still taste delicious.