All the spices and flavors come together perfectly in this delicious squash coconut curry noodle dish. The prep for this meal looks more difficult than it actually is because of all the ingredients, but once all the veggies are prepped it comes together very quickly.
Check Ann’s Tip for some delicious protein additions.
Squash Coconut Curry Noodles Preperation
1. Heat the oil in a wok or large skillet with a lid over a medium-high heat. When oil starts to shimmer, add the garlic, ginger, and jalapeno. Stir-fry until the garlic starts to turn golden.
2. Add the onions and pepper and continue to stir fry until the onions begin to soften, but not color.
3. Mix in the cubed squash. Cover and turn the heat down to medium. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to make the sure vegetables do not stick to the bottom of the pan.
4. Uncover, turn the heat up to medium-high and add the turmeric, coriander, ground cloves, and cayenne to the pan. Mix well to coat the vegetables. Cook, stirring for 1 minute.
5. Add the coconut milk, water, salt, and sesame oil. Mix well.
6. Bring the heat down to a simmer, cover and cook for about 10-15 minutes or until squash is tender, stirring occasionally. Add a little water if looks too dry; the curry should be saucy.
7. Once the sauce is tender, stir in the Thai rice noodles, lime juice, cilantro, and bean sprouts. Mix well. Cook through for 1 minute. Taste for seasonings, then serve.
Ann's Tips and Tricks
I like this curry as is, but if you want extra protein, add some firm tofu, or, for a non veggie version, add ½ a boneless skinless chicken breast cut into thin ‘stir fry’ strips. Here’s what to do:
– Firm tofu: cut it into ¼-inch cubes and add it in step 5 with the coconut milk.
– Chicken: add it in at step 2 once the onions and peppers are just getting soft.
– Stir fry until it is no longer pink then continue onto step 3, of adding the squash.
If the ground spices are difficult to find at your market, substitute 1½ teaspoons ground curry powder.
The prep for this can be simplified by buying pre-cut butternut squash
Be the first to leave a review.