These wonderful vegan grits give you a basic recipe that dispenses with butter and cheese to make a creamy tasty breakfast or side dish, that not only tastes delicious but is soothing to eat if your stomach is upset. I personally love these made with the rich taste of coconut oil, but for a more traditional taste, use vegan shortening. Eat them on their own or add any topping you want for a tasty treat.
- In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil over a high heat. Once boiled, slowly stir in the grits with a whisk.
- Reduce the heat to low and continue to whisk for 2 minutes. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes. Check the grits to make sure they do not boil over, and whisk occasionally. The grits are ready once thickened and creamy. Regular grits will take longer to cook, up to 30 minutes.
- Stir the olive oil and shortening or coconut oil into the grits. Add salt to taste. Serve while hot.
- 2 cups water
- ⅓ cup quick cooking grits
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoons coconut oil or vegan shortening
- Salt, to taste
Ann's Tips and Tricks
Always check the nutrition labels of vegetable shortenings or margarines for trans fats. Synthetic trans fats are really bad for us. Even though the FDA restrictions on their use are now tougher, some brands touting themselves as 0% can legally have up to .5 grams of trans fats per serving, so it pays to check.